Re: [ox-en] Re: Role of markets

I'll explain more:

I don't really think we can look at any f/loss software project and think of
it as a "doubly free" vs. "singly free" because anyone could very well be
employed to work on the f/loss project. That person could then decide to
align there work with the free software project, to contribute work back, to
contribute bug testing, unit testing, code improvement, and patches, etc as
part of their normal "paid" workflow, when they are being paid to work with
the f/loss software.

This actually happens in quite a few f/loss projects.

So, from an actual  systems perspective, things are messier than they are
from an economic theory perspective, perhaps. There is a rarely a "pure"
double-free f/loss project, if you are accounting for where all of the labor
came from (whether it was paid for, vs. whether it was all volunteer)

The workflow of contributing this way (contribution while being paid to
work) in reality is having the effect of more enterprise-type software
infrastructure capabilities becoming available to more people (like me) who
do not have the funds to otherwise purchase that infrastructure and/or
capabilities.

One thing to note is that clients who pay me would not actually need to pay
me to get core functionality, and actually get work done. They are paying me
to extend software beyond core functionality, plus they are paying me to
help them think about how to successfully use software to solve their unique
local problems.

Still, I do realize that the deeper, meta issue is 'why do I need to be paid
at all?' and how I find myself in the position of:

   - owning property that I must pay taxes on
   - owning a vehicle that requires fuel, lubricants, ongoing maintanence
   - limited production in my own property-space, requiring me to seek out
   funding to continue to pay taxes, and maintain systems that require money

So, there is a whole line of argument and thinking about how a system forces
me to participate in that money seeking.

Since there is no escape from that "system", it seems to me that the ideas
discussed by folks like Adam Arvidsson
http://www.ntu.ac.uk/p2pworkshop2007/programme/56389gp.html  are the most
likely to succeed: incorporating ethics into economies.

I'm not seeing this discussed too much here on oekonux, which is interesting
to me. if the notion of an "ethical economy" is rejected among some of the
people who contribute to this list, it would be enlightening for me to know
why (or to understand what they arguments against it are).