Re: [ox-en] The Kerala experience

one thing has to be realized, the reality between philosophy and
practical use otherwise, science would have not continued to stay
alive!

In my 11 years of experience with FOSS, starting from my pre-college
garage company to my experience in strategic technology management as
well as academics, FOSS in South Asia was more inclined towards how we
accepted it as well as the philosophies that surrounded it. Its
adoption was based upon practical-ism and the philosophy was secondary
in nature.

Simply said, our environment or ecosystem evolved first around the
fact of what we understood. None of the legal implications of pirated
software or the FOSS copyleft and licensing is accepted in our
legislation or legal courts. Software in Pakistan is not patentable by
legislation. People could build solutions around FOSS and sell them at
good price, that was the key use. The difference between software
piracy and IP protected software only evolved after our awareness
campaigns in 2005. Before 2005 people used Red Hat and Suse Linux
because no other operating system would accept 128+ giga RAM on
servers or blades were replacing the traditional RAC environments.

FOSS is the result of the benefit in terms of learning, research and
innovation that people can derive out from it thus what RMS or Bruce
Perens say have very less value in this country of 180 million
inhabitants and if we look at the number of people that even use
computers or software in general, that quantity would in some cases
equal the population of certain countries around the world.......

Coming back to the question. When software or any agricultural item is
termed as a commodity, the idea of a commodity was an object hold
certain tangible value and that was traded as barter. Today's world
evolves alot on monetary value and transactions but in the world of
FOSS, it has continued to be more philosophical and philosophy hasn't
been restricted to RMS or BP but it is what communities that come
together for learning and practice have evolved.

In Pakistan, FOSS is Free as in Free Beer Software...............the
whole IT industry downloads software freely and uses it and does good
business http://www.emergen.biz and the government helps them
http://www.osrc.org.pk, builds local skills http://www.techno-ed.com
and , Universities conduct research http://osrc.niit.edu.pk and
http://osrc.niit.edu.pk/ibm_niit.php, local NGOs equip themselves with
ICT skills, communities get empowered etc etc.

I've been able to witness a whole community development process
leading the FOSS foundation as well as the local ubuntu linux country
team. Every region will have its own perception of the commons. How
they learn to adopt, use, modify and share is based upon their
personal or regional preferences.

If you come to my country, I will give you the seed with the crop
produce if I can "afford" it. Similarly, it took me many years to be
able to buy my personal computer because first it was too costly,
secondly we were given only 20 mins to use a computer at school
because there were 90 students and only 30 computers once a week and
since the Internet was very expensive so we used to plan what we
wanted to search on the internet or write the emails well before we
connected the internet..................there is a clear difference
between the west and the south.

The West invented and adopted it, the South followed in need because
the world was adopting it. Now in the last half decade the South has
understood why it really needs the Internet. The FOSS movement is
fueled by the Internet. The South needs more free and fast internet,
it needs more computers and then FOSS would not be just

Different regions, different FOSS and Agriculture philosophies and
perceptions. :o) My two cents!