RE: [ox-en] Project / Book

Hi everyone

If we want to have two books - one by P2PF and one by [ox] on peer
production then they have to be as different as possible, otherwise it will
be hard to find a publisher. One of the things you are expected to do when
submitting a proposal is outline other books on the same topic and why your
proposal is interesting / different / needed. If there are two projects
which sound very similar it is likely to cause a lot of publishers some
pause (all the more so when dealing with people who would also like their
content to be freely available online).

From what I know of Athina et al.'s project it is aimed at the university
market, specifically communication and media and internet courses. So an
[ox] book should ideally chart a different course. I have been thinking that
the [ox] content as I understand it is (to be really crude and simple):

1. For a variety of historical and economic reasons (growing importance of
ICT in capitalism, growing independence of scientists/hackers from corporate
culture, spread of the Internet as a distribution medium, crisis #2,458 of
capitalism...) there is now a new form where as Raoul said "people are
dealing with free/gratis products, in conditions (relatively) much closer to
abundance". Here is how it works in terms of production of products,
governance of projects and so on. These are the benefits, these are the
problems. And not only that: there are even examples of people doing this
with hardware. These are the benefits, these are the problems.

2. A future post-capitalist society should be organised along the lines of
peer production: and here is how it could work (peer production governance
commons villages pools etc etc).

And that's it, in essence. Once again: I'm simplifying to the extreme.
What's missing, in my view, is how you get, practically, from 1 to 2. And a
concerted and serious effort to answering this question is what would
distinguish a more activist, engaged, political book from a more academic
one which seeks to map out the territory.

What I'm trying to say also is that while I don't believe there should be
one narrative like StefanMn said I think there should be a "road map" so
that contributions are useful to the argument.

Cheers

Mathieu