Re: [ox-en] On Bits and Pieces * How Information and Matter Are Similar

Hi StefanMz and all!

3 weeks (25 days) ago Stefan Meretz wrote:
some comments on your interesting slides:

Thanks for the feedback.

On 2010-03-25 17:36, Stefan Merten wrote:
* My claim: Rivalness is not a feature of the good

True.

  * Instead: *Rivalness* depends on the *availability*

No, rivalness depends on usage.

True. But it depends on availability, too - right?

However, increasing availability can be a measure to deal with rivalry.

In my slides I'm heading for the common denominator of production thus
I neglect the usage aspect. In any case a product needs to be
available at all so production is key in any case.

BTW: These slides were one of those cases where I think after some
years of thinking I think I got this point right: The difference
between information and matter vanishes when we are thinking society
and the production process becomes dominant.

  * *Availability* is a result of the *production process*

... and, even more important, a result of the social form of production.

Often capitalism produces more goods then can be bought, but they are
not available for those who can't buy them although they need them.

I agree. Again that is not the point I'm trying to make with the
slides and thus I neglect this as well.