Message 00152 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] greetings and special issue content possibilities...

Hi Lincoln, all

Thanks for your suggestions and comments, they are great. It makes sense to contact conference organizers to see if they would like to publish with us, though we need to be careful that they do not stray too far from our title and mission statement.

I would suggest though that before approaching anyone we should resolve how the peer review process works - an incentive to do this soon!

being very new to this, please forgive me if I have posted this out
of place or repeats earlier conversation...

No worries.

This might be a little pre-mature, but regarding the earlier not about
thoughts re special issues:
i. I'm sure you are aware of the list and conference 'The
Internet as Playground and Factory' that Trebor Scholz has been
behind, as some of
the people on this list attended. Links with this project might
be worth
making, especially re developing special issues?

Good idea, this conference certainly sounded interesting, though I could not look in great detail at the program because everything apart from the titles was illegible in the pdf...  They may have a publication planned already, I don't know.

ii. Geert Lovink, Johanna Nieysto, and others, including Indian
counter-parts are developing a
critical wikipedia project, with conferences in India in January
then latter
in Amsterdam, something to think about re special issue on wikipedia.

In this case I think they are planning to release a reader so I don't know to what extent they would want to work with us. Maybe if they have their own publication project we could ask them to summarise what they wanted to achieve / did achieve and publish that in our Wikipedia issue? Or they might want to submit a few papers?

Also, this project offers possibilities for finding advisors
might be found - especially beyond 'West'.

Very good point...

iii. anglia Ruskin's centre for digital culture is having a
network poplitics cconference/meeting that might be worth making
links with... http://www.networkpolitics.org/  other
meetings/conferences are planned, i
think Tornoto in October next year...

with regards to ii and iii i can at least suggest this journal
to them,
if this is thought appropriate...

Thanks for offering, much appreciated. I am in touch with the Wikipedia Delhi/Amsterdam people as they have invited me to take part in a workshop so I can contact them.

Regarding Digital Labor I have never communicated with Trebor Scholz up till now – should I contact him direct or does anyone here who knows him feel like approaching him with the idea of publishing a selection of texts (for example)?

As regards the Network Politics conference I did not know about it, and having read the CFP it seems to be in the same space as us, with some caveats as to research approaches. I may be outrageously pigeonholing them but it seems to me this CFP falls within the new media theory / cultural studies / philosophy camp which is not really in our mission statement (this could be said of the Scholz event though they do have a focus on "digital labor" which brings them closer to us).

Since this is a volunteer project I want to work as much as possible on approaches I am personally interested in so will not have the time to develop and oversee a special issue project with the Network Politics conference, as described in their CFP.

However if you think that there are possible connections between network politics and peer production, or that they may be interested in developing a deliberative-agonistic / critical theory / new media theory approach to peer production, I personally would be happy for you to guest edit a special issue on this topic (for those who don’t know him Lincoln has co-edited a book on Radical Democracy and The Internet).

But first we need to decide how we peer review.

Cheers,
Mathieu

[asides: i've officially finished at the University of
Queensland, for now, but
this e-mail will remain, but i'm not sure about my website].

ps. OK, but you still have a personal webpage somewhere, right?