Message 00220 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Physical meeting on Virt3C Hull?

Hi Stefan, Athina, all

Thanks for waking up the sleeping giant! ;-)

I have been busy with other stuff whilst still struggling to come up with a solution to the two vexatious issue which had stymied us:

1-SC membership.
Since no-one has come up with an alternative to my proposal (there needs to be some kind of online trace of activity / thought / writing about the topic one is claiming expertise in - could be mailing list posts, etc) for oh, two or three months, I consider this to be resolved.

I'm all for patience but I don't presume to wait for another two months before someone pipes up. I will contact the suggested people who meet this criteria and update the list of names (if I can remember my password, it's been a while).

2-Peer review
I have been re-reading Toni Prug's paper and finding it good. I plan to re-read the debates on this list and the Whitworth piece as well. Once this is done I will try to come up with a synthesis and alert this list. Hopefully over the next 10 days.

Other issues:
I agree with StefanMn's previous point that we should avoid private behind the scenes communication as much as possible, except in cases where privacy could be involved.

Regarding the Virtec conference it would be ideal to have communication, ideas, even some work (!?) produced there but I dont see how 'decisions' could be made as not everyone will be there - whatever comes out would need to be discussed in our decision-making body, this list.

@StefanMn: regarding your proposal for this event, I remember you posting it on [ox-en] a while back and asking for comments. I should have responded then but was unable to so here are my impressions - sorry if its not accurate to what you wrote. My general impression at the time was that your points were all good but not that different from what Eric Raymond and other theoreticians of FLOSS wrote a while back (volunteers can exit, reputation attracts contributions, etc). I would suggest being more specific: what did your experience as maintainer in FLOSS or ox teach you, and particularly how you handled situations of conflict. Maybe some self-reflexion or self-criticism?  Just my two centavos...

cheers

Mathieu