From: Gabriella Coleman <biella nyu.edu>
Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:26 pm
Subject: Re: [jox] Hott off the Editor's Desk
To: journal oekonux.org

Mathieu ONeil wrote:
[Converted from multipart/alternative]

Great to hear we are moving with submissions!

Someone we met in Hull and Amsterdam is Nate Tkacz, who was
one of the organisers of the CPOV conference. As a result a
dialogue started between Johan Soderbergh and Nate on the
politics of that strand of research known as Actor-Network
Theory (ANT). I am pleased to report that this dialogue has
solidified into two excellent short pieces. I am thinking of
writing a follow-up. These will soon be posted to the site for
comment. They will be for our "opinion" section so no need to
formally peer review them. Nate expressed an interest in joining
us and after considering the enthusiasm he put into this
exchange I invited him to join our SC. So, welcome to our newest
member!>

Re. style for the journal I am leaning towards a more minimal
approach.

In part this is due to seeing one too many super-slick powerpoint
presentations. Ultimately I find all the super-slick animations
distracting. We need it to be clean and striking. For the
homepage I'm
thinking all white background with black and one extra colour
text only.
Small font. For article space something like First Monday would
be fine.
Ultimately the content is what will make this worth coming back to.

Minimal is good though I think it is a real shame not to eventually
embed imagea and video if we have the resources to do so. Not
because it
is slick but because it can enhance the arguments.

Again, the site which has pulled off design beautifully is Triple
Canopy. I doubt we have the capacity to do what they have done
but it is
a reminder that rich media can be used not as bells as whistles
but to
enhance the substance of the arguments.

This is the directions more journals I imagine will be going. Social
Text hope to publish one year issue in this format starting next
summer.So if we can think about whether this is even possible,
it might be
worth exploring

See for example for those who have not seen it:
http://www.canopycanopycanopy.com/8/horse_people

Thats all for now,
cheers,

Mathieu

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
212-992-7696
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty_bios/view/Gabriella_Coleman

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University
email: mathieu.oneil[at]anu.edu.au
web: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/visitors/mathieu.php