Message 00530 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: SV: [jox] Licence for articles

First of all, this isn't something I have a strong feeling about. I am
a fan of CC (for reasons that we could get into but I won't), but many
of the things I produce are actually NC for some of the reasons
several of you have noted. That said, I think there are good reasons
to ditch the NC, as I've noted.

I would advise against NC-unless-you're-cool. If we're going to do
that, we might as well do (c)-unless-you're-cool. The CC license is
intended to make it clear and easy and explicitly *not* have to ask.
So, when I want to use the article in my university course (at a
private, non-worker-owned, but not-for-profit university), I have to
ask myself, am I cool enough? Or do I have to ask permission? When I
teach a fee-based course at p2pu in a couple of years, I have to ask
myself the same question.

(In practice, I wouldn't ask at all; I would assume "fair use" in the
US and wait to be sued. But that's beside the point.)

Likewise, there are plenty of non-commercial people out there who are
not very cool, and I'm fine with them spreading the work.

If someone adds value to the work and wants to make a profit doing so,
I'm also OK with that. A small group decides to audio record the work
and sell it for a reasonable fee--have at it. If someone thinks that
fee is unreasonable, they can create their own for a more reasonable
fee (or for free). Of course, because of SA, others could then
distribute it for free. Because the good is essentially non-exclusive,
the means of exploitation are significantly reduced...

There are some other options: author chooses the license. I like this,
though it makes things a little muddier since there isn't a blanket
license. Some authors may choose to place it fully in the public
domain, others might choose a CC license or some other public license,
and others might wish to give CSPP a non-exclusive license by
otherwise retain copyright...

Best,

Alex