Message 00526 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: SV: [jox] Licence for articles

The NC clause, like all other copyleft or CC licenses, is just a
subclause added to copyright. If it is added to copyright, as some
suggest, then one has delimited the text in question and excluded any
commercial activity.

A boundary has been set.

However, as Mathieu notes, it can of course be waivered, in cases where
CSPP thinks that commercial action is a good thing (like-minded
projects, for instance, that make some money to keep their project going
by selling something like a magazine, including some text from the
journal). All that is required is a little bit of text added with the
copyright/CC text, stating that of course cool projects can use it for
commercial activity.

On the other hand, if NC is not used, then there is no way that anyone
can prevent someone like Rupert Murdoch using the text. Probably Murdoch
never would anyway, but a signal that the corporate economy is
undesirable has been sent. That's what the NC clause can do: establish a
boundary against corporations and send a signal that their behaviour is
not welcome in this common sphere.

There has been several waves of discussion on this topic on CC-community
( http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-community ) over the
years with little resolution, - mostly clouded by rhetoric, dogma and
repetition and little argument.

-martin