Message 00611 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: RE: [jox] Ready to be served

Hi Jonas, all

Well it says in the second para of the mission statement "Through the analysis of the forms, operations, and contradictions of peer producing communities in contemporary capitalist society, the journal aims to open up new perspectives on the implications of peer production for social change." So yes, cspp is a journal, though not a 100% traditional one because of its connections to members of the hacker / activist community. Some people might say it is a peer production project that happens to be a journal.

Anyways, I agree that the design could be clearer - one of the ideas behind parallel streams (research, debate, reports) was that one release may have research and reports but no debate. But its mainly an issue of design by default where things were added on.

We can certainly call the research section "Journal" if that helps make it clearer (since the "Journal" section is now called "About"). Re your suggestion about upcoming issue it is not clear whether issue 2 will be about bio-hacking or not. I would argue that until an issue is ready for release it should not be advertised as such. The home / mission / frontpage has a CFP as well. I agree the current issue should appear on this frontpage more clearly.

Thanks for the feedback,
cheers,

Mathieu

[1 text/plain]
From a design point of view,

- Is CSPP a journal? In what ways is that made clear to the
user? As the
front page indicates, the current issue is under the headline
"research",whereas the call for papers for the forthcoming
issue(?) is under "special
issues". Wouldn't it be more logical to simply have a headline called
"journal", where the current one is no 1, and the forthcoming
one is no 2?
And, as Simon noted - clearly show that "research" "debate" and
"reports"are subcategories of said journal?

- Further, why not have links to the call for papers page both
on the page
for "journal, issue 2" and under a separate heading in the menu
tab and on
the frontpage (which should simply say: "call for papers").

- I like the fact that there are categories called "debate" and
"reports",but shouldn't the frontpage very clearly tell the user
that what (s)he will
find here are both a journal, including debates, as well as
reports? Are the
debates and reports part of the actual journal? It is a bit
muddled now, as
to what consitutes the actual publication mentioned on the
frontpage. Does
it only comprise "research papers" or does it also contain
"debates" and
"reports"?

- In order to get to the current issue of the journal, I now
have to click
on a menu called "research" (i.e. not "journal") and then once
more click on
the link to the current issue. Why not simply have a link on the
frontpagecalled "current issue: Mass peer activism" which takes
you straight to it?
Likewise, why do I have to click "special issues" to get to
"call for
papers"?

- What makes the current issue (Mass peer activism) not a
"special issue"
and the forthcoming one (Expanding the frontiers of hacking) a
"special"one? This is unclear to me as a page visitor. What is
meant by "special"
issue?

- Why are the headlines justified across the entire length (i.e.
not simply
left-positioned, as headlines always should be)? The current
kerning of the
headlines is neither reader-friendly nor particularly sightly.

Other than that, great to see this interesting project coming to
fruitition!
// Jonas Andersson, Ph.D.

   My Södertörn University email:
   jonas.andersson sh.se

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Mathieu ONeil