Message 00622 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Tr : Re: [Air-L] CFP: Expanding the frontiers of hacking

On 06/17/2011 01:09 PM, Stefan Merten wrote:
Hi!

3 days ago Mathieu ONeil wrote:
We've been counter-spammed! I dont know if this warrants a response - could be a troll - or just point out that it is a misunderstanding of "hacker"...?

A note pointing out the difference between hacking and cracking would
have been useful probably...

I tend to prefer to hightlight the fact that there are differences and
tensions among hackers about what is appropriate in hacking rather than
just draw a neat line between hacking and cracking. There are many
transgressive acts in the history and contemporary face of hacking I
would not simply place in the cracker category for example. I usually
just highlight the internal debates among hackers as a way to prevent
such responses.

Biella

--
Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
NYU, Department of Media, Culture, & Communication

Message 00622 [Homepage] [Navigation]