Self-unfolding? (was: Re: [ox-en] Free time)

Hi Graham and all,

Graham Seaman wrote:

>>Reading this, I was wondering how to put this important aspect of
>>free software freedom and self-unfolding in a short phrase and came
>>up with: "Free as in free speech, but also free as in free time,"
>>suggesting that
>>when self-unfolding, you (try to) spend your time in the way you
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is a picky little point away from the main issue, but is it
> possible to find a replacement for the word 'self-unfolding'? It
> sounds bizarre in English - I assume it means something like
> self-development, but it conjures up images of a piece of paper with
> a clockwork mechanism inside for me.

What the hell is a piece of paper with a clockwork mechanism inside??
This is your "running dog" (from below)?

> As far as I know, this came from the choice of words by the
> translator for Stefan's article. The reason for making a point of this
> is I well remember other groups in the past who couldn't talk outside
> to people outside their little group because they had their own
> terminology which sounded like a bad translation (eg. maoists with
> 'we must defeat the running dogs of capitalism' (what on earth IS
> a running dog?)).
> Does self-development mean the same as you (or Stefan) meant by
> self-unfolding?

Well, in german there is a problem too. We have two words: First
"Selbstverwirklichung" which is commonly used, and second
"Selbstentfaltung" which is explicitly used in Oekonux-Context replacing
the first one. I try to explain what we found out on the german list
(sorry for my rough english, help welcome...):

In a german dictionary "Selbstverwirklichung" is translated as
"self-realization" or more psychologically "self-actualization". The
meaning is make something real or bring something into existence what I
personally want. This is a quite normal an modern way to express myself.
It is the way like Bill Gates does etc. The key point is here: I only
can come forward if others don't. My self-realization means the
restriction of the self-realization of others. If I get a job others
don't. If I capture a market-share, others don't. And so on. This is not
result of a personal defect, it is an effect of our economical and
societal (social) structure. I can't go through life than this way. In
short:

**My assertion (get my way) neccessarily goes on costs of others.**

On the contrary to this "Selbstentfaltung" -- self-unfolding
(self-development?) -- means a completely different thing: I only can
come forward, can express myself, can be productive if others do the
same for themselfs. More sharper:

**The self-unfolding of others is a precondition of my self-unfolding.**

And vice versa. This normally is the structure in free software, because
the main topic is to do what I want to do, because it's best for me --
and at the same time: for others! (And btw: Oekonux itself is so
productive and nice, because it works in this way). This only can emerge
if a structure functions far away from scarcity and economic logics: Be
better than others to replace them, beat them on market, ... and at
least kill them physically. FS is such a self-unfolding
(self-development) structure.

Now the question of the right word. I can not decide that, I don't have
a good "english speaking feeling". My question is: Feels
"self-development" for you more like the first (...on costs...) or like
the second explanation (...precondition...)? Maybe neither nor, because
nobody else think in a way we do in Oekonux;-)

If "self-development" sound yuppie-like as self realization in new
economy, I would prefer a new unusual term e.g. self-unfolding. A new
term can be a provocation to lead one to some good questions. And it is
not out of world like the running dog metaphor, isn't it?

What do you think?

Ciao,

     Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft ver.di
     Internetredaktion
     Potsdamer Platz 10, 10785 Berlin
--
     stefan.meretz verdi.de