Re: Compulsion? was Re: [ox-en] Re: Property, scarcity, selbstentfaltung

Rich Walker <rw shadow.org.uk> wrote:
some model other than proprietary software. Unfortunately, open source
as a phrase is more comprehensible than GPL, and for some reason I don't
like to use the word Free in this context. Curious.

How do you know that understand?

It's been my experience that that term gets lots of false recognition.

You have a point. It's basically a judgement call when explaining stuff
to people as to whether they get this part of the strategy, whether you
should go on to explain in more detail about the Debian distribution
model, the RTAI real-time linux system, the CLAWAR modular philosophy,
the concept of software development as an expense and social good rather
than a profit center, and several of the other components.

When doing short presentations, or for people with whom it does not have
great relevance, sometimes it gets skipped. When drawing up legal
documents, I refer questions to the GNU website, and attempt to ensure
"GPL" turns up in those documents.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |