Oekonoux Book, was: Re: [ox-en] 3rd Oekonoux Conference

Hi

On Mon 18-Aug-2003 at 05:19:04PM -0400, Graham Seaman
wrote:

I think the basic problem is that the German/English
speakers don't have the motivation (more interesting to
write new things than translate old ones) and the
monolingual people don't have the skills (well, doh).
The 'milestones' text is basically finished, just
waiting for Stefan Merten to go over it. The other texts
in the translation section of opentheory.org seem to
have stalled. Any ideas on how we might maybe find
people from outside the list with the necessary language
skills?

Hmm, all that comes to my mind is the new Indymedia
translations project:

  http://translations.indymedia.org/

We could post the german article to indymedia in Germany
as then request translations there! (joke)

Chris, do you know how the translations from German work
on marxists.org - is it all dependent on individuals
doing whole books each?

I think it is mostly dependant of scanning translated
texts.

Would either putting more texts on opentheory or
publicising the subversion server help?

Ah, yes, we never did that -- there is a subversion
repository here:

  https://atomism.demon.co.uk/svn/repos/oekonux/

With a XML file by Graham which lists possible texts for
the book. If anyone wants commit access let me know,
anyone can browse it.

Would a wiki site be better for this?

My guess is that this is a bit like software - hard to
get a project going from nothing with a lot of
participants, much easier if there is something visible
already done to build on, which means usually an
individual doing a lot of hard work first. I guess that
should be me.  Mutters lame excuse about lack of time...
:-(

Hey, I think we all know how you feel... :-(

Chris

--
http://chris.croome.net/