Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:23:44AM -0500, Graham Seaman wrote:
btw, did you see Peren's copyright statement: 'Copyright 2003 Perens
LLC.  You may translate, excerpt, and reformat to fit your
presentation, and you may republish the result, but you may not edit
the material to change my opinion or take my statements out of
context.'

Nice wishful thinking from his point of view but nightmarish from
everyone else's: a law that could stop people quoting you out of
context!

Quoting bits and pieces without providing the full context is covered
by fair use in the US and this little bit of quasi-license doesn't
supplant that. Bruce knows that and I have ever reason to believe he
supports fair use of documents written by others and himself.

Bruce isn't a lawyer so the wording is clumsy but I think what he
meant was, "don't misrepresent my opinions." I don't think he was
trying to evoke the nightmarish scenario you're imagining -- although
perhaps a less nightmarish something that you/we also wouldn't like. :)

Bruce has been the driving force behind a committe between Debian the
FSF to try to get Debian to work with the FSF to have the FSF's
documentation come fully inline with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines -- something that RMS has been very resistant to do. He
done more for holding documents to high free software standards than
almsot anyone else in the community -- although it appears he's not
holding his own documents to anywhere near the same standards.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill