Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:00:33PM -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

Radical forms of non-discrimination are essential to free software in
terms of use, modification and distribution. If you make a license
that says that use, modification, distribution, etc is in *anyway*
tied to a particular political orientation, it is unambiguously not
free software.

  I suspect we would do better to use the term "partisan" rather
than "political".  FLOSS isn't tied to a specific political
orientation (left/right, specific party, etc), but it is an
expression of a political philosophy.  Even the act of trying to be
non-partisan is an expression of a political philosophy.

Sure, this sounds fine. This has never been the grounds for
misunderstanding in my own experiences but I can see how this term is
more precise.

Note that the lack of ability to restrict in a partisan way has come
up as a negative with FLOSS in some political parties.

This isn't limited to political parties. The Greater Good Common
License and many political organizations or politically oriented
organizations have trouble with this. The troublesome "non commercial
use clause" is the cause of the majority of "almost free" software out
there.

Regards,
Mako

--