Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:55:20PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Martin Hardie wrote:
On Tuesday 09 December 2003 16:36, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
Can you move beyond dismissing the philosophy and language of the
free software movement as a whole an an uncritical regurgitation
of a philosophy which you claim you know more about than the
practicioners themselves?

oh but I forgot we should only say nice things about free software,
repeat the language, worship or code and never try and look into
things that question what we say, where we are going, or god forbid
if the path is dangerous.  Anyone who does these things is obviously
a non believer, they should be run out of the temple or bazaar as
they obvioulsy just don't understand or support free as in freedom.
I forgot floss is evolutionary better, its inevitable that this
higher form of machine will succed all other forms and free us all,
inclduing the kids I see everyday begging for 2 cents to buy bread
while they die of aids on the streets of africa.  God if they only
knew that linux will save them all we could all have a smile on our
face.  Patting each other on the back is good as the ship heads
towards the icebergs.....

I asked you to acknowledge the fact that Free Software developers can
be a critical and intellectually diverse group of individuals capable
of thinking as individuals about their activities and their role in
them and you dismissed my plea with an even more preposterous
regurgitation of the the same implausible mockery.

You are obviously capable of thinking very critically about free
software, free software philosophy and free software models. Please,
try to imagine that others, even practitioners, advocates, and
activists, are capable of the same sort of critical thinking. Please,
try to imagine that free software is not a religion and that even most
religious folks would be offended by a condemnation similar to the one
you gave above.

Regards,
Mako

--