Re: [ox-en] Nazi in Debian Alert

Paul,

I think I can suggest you a more constructive and effective way to
proceed next time.

Do a little research on the Debian pages to choose who you are going
to email. A quick web search or a trip to
http://www.debian.org/intro/organization would have given you a couple
good candidates including the Debian Project Leader and the Debian
Accounts Manager. Both of whom would be more appropriate than two
Debian non-involved Free Software celebrities you chose. Additionally,
they would probably also be much less likely to have forwarded your
message somewhere publicly and both of whom would be accountable to
the project when they did (I'm not sure Bruce is even a Debian
developer any more).

The first email could have read something like:

  I've found this webpage by a Debian developer that includes Nazi
  propaganda. Is there any action you can or will take against him?
  Can you publicize this? If not, I will take it upon myself to do
  this because I am uncomfortable with the idea of a Nazi in any sort
  of trusted position within Debian.

Chances are, you would have gotten an email back that said something
along the lines of: "Sorry. Unless he's using his @debian.org email
address there is little we can do about it."

With such a reply, you could then post an announcement like this to an
*appropriate* public discussion list that alerts people without
attacking the folks who didn't respond the way you would have liked or
criticizing the Debian project as a whole:

  XXX Debian developer is hosting and publishing Nazi content on his
  website. Debian developers should take this into consideration and
  reevaluate their role in the project.

Probably most folks would probably go along using and developing
Debian and there's not much you can do about and it's not worth
calling them names when they do. Many would certainly treat the
developer in question differently in their future dealings with him --
perhaps it would make working in Debian impossible. If you did this
son a list, it would also provide a space for people to respond and
discuss this in a constructive way.

Please notice how I in none of the messages did I call people a bunch
of fucking American California-style libertarian cunts. Normally this
wouldn't need pointing out in but your case, I think it might.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill