Re: [ox-en] Re-Modelling Perceptual Positioning and Processing

Hi Niall, Hi List

Niall Douglas wrote:

On 21 Feb 2004 at 3:23, Adam Moran wrote:

IV.	Strangely the cry of this site is let the engineers write, and I
know I'm not the only one around here with that capability. We have
such a pleasant song to sing that I wouldn't want to mess it up with
my many mumblings. For those folk not paying attention to where
Niall, Rich, I, and perhaps others got, is we have a universe open and
a travel pass. Pick your characters, pick your colours ... i seem to
be getting too many and need some mates to help me tell this tale.

It's one thing to sing, it's quite another to get others to even open the same hymn-book!

You can sing that again.

You're right that I believe that I know how we shall all think in a century's time and I get the feeling that on this list at least there is a higher concentration of people of a similar belief.

I'm not to sure whether it will take 100 years before we could witness a real change in everyones life. The sooner the better has far as I'm concerned. I will go away and think about this one and try and model.

Despite my outlandish views previously expressed on many topics here, I was actually holding myself considerably back and keeping on topics I was absolutely sure about. Now, if you get me onto stuff I'm not so sure about, I begin to veer even wider from established wisdom. I get the feeling Adam that you may well be the same.

Yep - You've got me pegged. When you wrote about having an off-list dialogue about the universe, and mentioned that you quite like talking to anybody about their believes, I thought I'd test out mine with you. I suppose I'd missed out on the christmas events back at the base from trying to come up with an effective defense against swapts, and thought I'd party on the list instead.

It's interesting that the more unconventional you get, the more fear and hate you attract from others, especially those considered experts.

I didn't know this was the case; the bit about the 'fear' and the 'hate' concerns me. My mates tell me my sense of humour can offend at first, but when folks get to know me better they just take me with a pinch of salt.

(It was always the joke of hydraulics for instance that

x = variable
spurt = drip under pressure)

Maybe folk wouldn't feel this way about me if they met me. I'd be surprised if they did.

My current life occupation which sucks up from sixty to eighty hours of my life per week is to write a system of software which is as I think all software should be (apart from games). I think it will revolutionise the world.

I never doubt a confident coder. And thanks.

I'm used to these working hours from a 2-shift rota; these hours are crazy though and no good for our general health. Well, you only live once and there's far worse habits I suppose [grin].

However, the realist in me knows that it will be too radical for many - - how I think software should be structured is fundamentally at odds with current convention. People will use my system and dislike it intensely just because it's different even if it does increase their productivity vastly. And I will take it personally, because this work coming from the heart as it does is existentially me.

Snap. On this I think we all agree ?

All I can hope is that perhaps by *doing* people can see that my views are not as half-baked as they appear on first glance and do have merit. I pray that when they actually use it, they find themselves enjoying it so much that they stay and bring my views in from the cold.

Snap.

Of course, I could be insane and this software will be unusable by anyone at all (this is what most experts I have talked to say). But then what is sanity really, a happy lunatic bothering no one is just as entitled to be as anyone else.

You can sing that again.

Best Regards

--
Adam