[ox-en] the Meteors V2

Hi Listo,

Random wrote:

> subscribe

I didn't mean to make my subscription such a public announcement ... though I know no one will believe that for one second ... however it is true.

Accidence and Essence is the way of unfolding. Niall puts it some where in-list, I think, about the necessity of chaos for evolving any system. Genetics is the same ... accidence and essence.

Why I went off-list was to try and recuperate ... but folk just won't let me alone ... now I'm being copied in to numerous discussions and I do *do* other stuff aswell you know. (grin)

The Meteors
===========

My mam knitted me a Jumper called the *Meteors* ... twice actually ... I'm wearing V2 at the moment, and there are holes at the elbows.

Why I'm telling you this is because I was out at a party a few nights ago, and I told just about every one there a story concerning V1 of my Jumper. I left the story hanging and told folk just to type my name in google and the *Meteors* and I'll finish the story off in-list.

Here's the story I told for the party:

Phase 3
-------

We built a tram system in Sheffield during the 1990s. The council recruited loads of new engineers as all the services needed to be diverted from under the new tram tracks. Electricity, Gas, Cables, Super-heated water pipes that we run from our recycling plant ... just endless amounts of stuff that needed adjusting and moving out of the way. I got press-ganged into diverting the sewers in the city centre ... Phase 3 :(

You would not believe this job; 16 traffic diversions in less than a km^2 and 8 independent contractors who were all argy-bargying us for space to do there own stuff ... trying to sneak their empty ducts into the precious ground below :(

Fortunately most of our work was just re-inforcing older infrastructure. Beefing up the structures with reinforced concrete. There was a few new drives and some abandonment work ... but the bulk of the work was moving the man-holes out of the way and in to the side streets; still, it was difficult to keep things moving ...

This is where the V1 Jumper comes in. We had built one man-hole outside the shop where my mam had bought the wool. "Artisan" is the name of the shop. The women-proprietor had recognised the Jumper from her design books and deduced that my mam must have knitted it; the wool is of a particular type : Donegal Tweed.

The women-proprietor phoned my mam whilst I was down the hole and she informed my mam just where I had taken the Jumper. When I got back out, she called me over to the shop and handed the phone to me. I spent the next 50 minutes explaining myself to my mam. (laugh)

Lots of comical things happened on this site; I got a parking ticket, for instance, when my car was on a double yellow line; the lines hadn't been there before I had parked and instructed the painting (grin). The lads had distracted me by testing out my maths on their accumulating bet ... the rotten scamps. (grin)

The job took 36 weeks and most of my time was just spent fire-fighting and keeping things going.

Anyway we got on with the job just like all our other engineers were doing / had done with the other 9 phases. And we also continued the major tunneling infrastructure which we had been building around the clock since the 1970s.

Loads of new stuff to do and keep the city up and running at the same time :)

Loads of stuff as well that could stop the work :(

Traffic mainly ... to keep things moving on the surface was difficult with the many conflicting traffic diversions...

...and the constant argy-bargy for space below ground between the services. It is very difficult to thread a 2500mm long, 1800mm diameter concrete pipe between the service spaghetti. The men didn't hang about; if not watched, they used to cut any empty ducts out of the way with Stihl saws ... it used to really cause the alarms bells to ring back at the office when I took up the Stihl saw and gave the men a hand. (lol)

But what can you do ? We took some flak from the service Chiefs but those back at the office ... those who had site experience, gave us support ... including our Chief.

Any way the point of this story ... for those people who are now reading after meeting me at our party the other night is this:

	The only thing that stopped work on phase 3 was my Jumper !

... and the point this story from the wider party now reading is this ...
If I can't tell you storys about V1 of my Jumper without feeling spooked, then V2 of my Jumper ... which I ware as I type ... will stop this work.

	After all, the Jumper is existentially me !

Catch ya later ( big grin )

--
Random & Pink :: the Jumper