Betterment & Misere Ouvert WAS Re: [ox-en] the Meteors V2

Betterment

You never know what you find until you dig ... and there's always something you don't expect. On phase 3 it was 225mm^3 stone ashers which had laid paved between the buried tram tracks of yester year.

We gave the scrap metal of the tracks to the lads, although it was contractually ours. The job progressed faster if everyone was getting a share of the spoil. But as for the ashers, we always argued the toss ... as we did for any good stone.

Our engineers are of the old school and believe in betterment; good stone can always be repurposed to aggrandise the city and there are certainly many areas of the City that need aggrandising.

Misere Ouvert

My maternal granddad was the youngest of 11 and had been stationed during the second world war with the French Foreign Legion; these two facts made him a walking encyclopedia of card games. His favorite game was Solo Whist and his favorite hand was Misere Ouvert. Whist is normally about taking tricks; if one declares Misere Ouvert one needs to loose every trick with an open hand. The first trick one plays blind and then the rest of the hand one plays Misere Ouvert.

--
Random :: Betterment & Misere Ouvert