Re: [ox-en] Re: Next successful Free Product?

here are some links:

-	Scientific Commons

The Budapest Open Access Initiative aims to guarantee
access to scienfitic materials, at :
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm ; :
Global Access to Health, at
www.healthgap.org/press_releases/03/: Biological
Innovation for Open Society, at
http://www.bios.net/daisy/bios/15 ; overview of  'Open
Biology' developments, at
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,66545,00.html;
the Science Commons initiative by Lawrence Lessig et
al, at http://science.creativecommons.org/

"BIOS will soon launch an open-source platform that
promises to free up rights to patented DNA sequences
and the methods needed to manipulate biological
material. Users must only follow BIOS' "rules of
engagement," which are similar to those used by the
open-source software community.?
(http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,66289,00.html?)

A number of large companies are started to put their
patents in a 'patent commons', as recently advocated
by IBM:

?The IBM (IBM) move is meant to encourage other patent
holders to donate their own intellectual property in
order to form what the company refers to as a "patent
commons," a modern twist on shared public lands set
aside under traditional laws.?
(http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,66237,00.html?)

Open Access scientific journalis are thriving, but
also have their problems, nl. it is now the authors
who have to pay, at
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,67174,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

--- Karel Kulhavy <clock twibright.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:49:53PM -0700, Michael