Re: [ox-en] [Upd-discuss] Paper:"Digital property" By Sabine Nuss - Response t

Soenke Zehle schrieb am Freitag, 07. Oktober 2005 um 13:18 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]:

this is key: "Some resources, such as timber, are rival generationally,
since within a generation there is only a limited supply, but can be
non-rival in the long-term if exploited at levels of sustainable yield,
that is if only income and not capital is consumed."

This is where all classical economics fails; the whole idea of achieving
allocative optima through self-regulating markets is at odds with any
thought of futurity, econ theory accommodates this rather awkwardly
through fiddling with discount rates for future use. That's also why,
imo, ecological economists like Daly (one-time World Bank dissident who
was actually much more interesting than Stiglitz, for example) and
others like Martinez have turned the problem of inter-generational
allocation of resources into a major area of emphasis,

Soenke

I think it is really difficult to think about intergenerational allocation
of resources in a time when everybody thinks about the next quarter
survival.

What I feel Free Modes in agriculture and cultivation can contribute is a
large incentive of finding out the most appropriate ways to quickly
regenerate resources needed for our human needs (not necessarily the ones
of coreporations, as Sabine thoughtfully added).

We have basically two non-rival and almost non-exhaustive resources:
knowledge and sunlight. if we base the material aspects of our production
on easy and fast reproduceability of basic materials, we will see a
predominance of non-rival / non exclusive schemes.

That is the missing link. So one way to resolve it would be to research
ways humans could be involved more in regenerating and recultivating
resources. It would work best if they create and maintain their living
environments by this.

The theory of Global Villages is about a planetary transformation to a
garden economy, where there is close proximity between humans and their
resource base, allowing us to push the availability of any material
resource over the limits of non-rivalness and save all kinds of physical
transportation costs by allowing local decentralized production.

How to do it?? look for example here:

http://www.natcap.org/module.php?theDir=discuss&setCookie=yes&pageId=26

Franz