Cheap production and Global Villages (was: Re: [ox-en] [Upd-discuss] Paper:"Digital property" By Sabine Nuss - Response t)

Hi Franz and all!

Last month (29 days ago) Franz Nahrada wrote:
What I feel Free Modes in agriculture and cultivation can contribute is a
large incentive of finding out the most appropriate ways to quickly
regenerate resources needed for our human needs (not necessarily the ones
of coreporations, as Sabine thoughtfully added).

We have basically two non-rival and almost non-exhaustive resources:
knowledge and sunlight.

You might probably add energy from fusion reactors - if they ever will
become reality.

if we base the material aspects of our production
on easy and fast reproduceability of basic materials, we will see a
predominance of non-rival / non exclusive schemes.

I think this applies not only to basic materials but to everything and
not only to reproduceability - whatever this may mean exactly - but to
all production. But this is trivial. "Easy and fast" means little or
no human activity is needed - or in other words: highly automated
production.

Automation here may mean in an industrialized way but also in a
biological sense as in the ideas you are promoting so often. In any
case, however, it is a technical thing where humans put together
artefacts in a new way to make them produce things.

Some mails later you wrote:

  Last month (29 days ago) Franz Nahrada wrote:
  > With the cheap and efficient reproduceability of everything, branding has
  > been one of the main strategies to create artificial scarcities.

I totally agree with you that we already *have* cheap and fast
production capabilities. Capitalism did us that favor, indeed.

That is the missing link.

So where is the missing link exactly? I can't see it. In the contrary
I see a fundamental development of automation triggered by capitalism
and continued in Free Modes.

So one way to resolve it would be to research
ways humans could be involved more in regenerating and recultivating
resources. It would work best if they create and maintain their living
environments by this.

I disagree. IMHO it would work best if someone cares about this who
*wants* to do this and who is an *expert* in this. The other 95% of
humankind IMHO should rather spent their time doing what they want and
where they are experts in.

Franz, I really wonder if you can give a reason for your assumption or
this is just wishful thinking. Frankly I think it is the latter one.

The theory of Global Villages is about a planetary transformation to a
garden economy, where there is close proximity between humans and their
resource base,

People should live for instance in coal mines? You are joking, aren't
you.

allowing us to push the availability of any material
resource over the limits of non-rivalness and save all kinds of physical
transportation costs by allowing local decentralized production.

If done right physical transportation could be mainly an issue of
energy consumption. There is nothing wrong with physical
transportation if you have enough energy - which the sun or fusion
reactors may give us.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.