Branding - good or bad? (was: Re: [ox-en] [Upd-discuss] Paper:"Digital property" By Sabine Nuss - Response t)

Hi Franz and all!

Last month (29 days ago) Franz Nahrada wrote:
With the cheap and efficient reproduceability of everything, branding has
been one of the main strategies to create artificial scarcities. We know
that from pharmaceutical markets, where there often is practically no
difference between branded drugs and generika. But we know that from many
markets. Talking about your Nokia the mobile companies make damned sure
there is a different plug for each model line so you are forced to
purchase all equipnent anew.

I think one of the main achievements of Open Source Hardware is that it
will put an end to that spook. There will be exact technical details of
anything, but not necessarily a brand name.

Maybe to have no logo will become sexy one day again.

Well, a brand is also a sign standing for some features of a product.
As such there is nothing wrong with a brand as long as it's kind of
abbreviation for a set of features.

However, of course branding can be used to valorize. Such use of
branding is probably the one which needs to vanish. But this is easy
to conclude because such branding does not focus on use value and thus
is alienated to the use value.

A brand which says: "Products using this brand are long-lived,
standards compatible as can be, ..." is for sure a good thing. In some
general sense Free Software is itself already such a brand.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.