Re: [ox-en] Labor contradictions

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de> wrote:

Hi Michel and all!

I'm reformatting this mail to make the quoting structure
comprehensible.

The core question to me is what you do with the means of production
once you have acquired them. If you use them to do the same as before
- i.e. no Selbstentfaltung but abstract labor - then you simply repeat
the history of those attempts in capitalism.

A peer production based attempt to acquire means of production would
mean to acquire the most advanced means of production available - like
industrial robots and the like. These are the means of production you
can Selbstentfalt with by playfully working with them and doing useful
things at the same time.

This is precisely what I think is impossible at this stage of history,which
is why I would formulate the priorities as follows:

- achieve a change from absolute alienation (capitalism) to relative
alienation (cooperative production)

- increase the sphere of absolute non-alienation (peer production)

- create bridges and fluidity to facilitate passage from one to the other ..

Well, if the workers movement would support peer production then
classical workers movement institution probably should support the 4th
Oekonux Conference. However, the people I asked for contacts all were
quite sceptical about such support.

How can we change this. It is crucial, now that we are going to enter a new
period like the interwar period, of increasing political and economic
instability and dislocation, that we enter into dialogue with the labour
movement ...

There is a connection, countries like Venezuela for example are for free
software more than elsewhere, and typically, it is the left parties which
propose measures that go into the direction of openness ...

Michel