[ox-en] Re: Unsustainable peer production?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:04:21 -0800 (PST) Patrick Anderson wrote:

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi gmail.com> wrote:

You can give anything for free and get anything for free. However, you
cannot just give for free while getting nothing for free.

Sustained Peer Production requires SOME reciprocation.

Of course you can give with reciprocation for a short period of time,
or in a limited number of your dealings, but if none of your peers
ever get around to 'giving' you some of the things you need to live
(such as food), then how will you avoid death?

If the answer is "we each must grow our own food", then I must ask
"must we each be our own dentist?".

I DO want our society to be a web of trusting relationships.

And I DO want people to have the ability and inclination to be giving.

But these are goals, not plans.

We need a legally binding plan to resist the typical growth pattern of
human groups lest our Germ be either be starved (underfunded) or
spoiled (turned Capitalist or State-Communist or some other
non-solution).

i'm not sure if it's all typical growth patterns that need to be resisted, but i think i sense from your phraseology that you are wishing for some kind of legal framework that would facilitate the gifting and sharing of goods, duties etc., whilst at the same time, offset the need or contrary desires to hoard, waste and spoil

as far as legally binding plans go, i used to like building stuff under ice's conditions of contract, the 5th edition, if only because of familiarity -- i mention this as an example of a binding document founded in civil law, designed to standardise the duties of the various parties and distribute the risks inherent in civil engineering to those best able to manage them -- i note however martin's comments on contracts here ...

  http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg01578.html

... and wonder if it would not be a mistake to "filter one's perception and predetermine whatever can be viewed and conceptualised" by applying a law discovered in one subject to a second subject [1] ... i'll think about this some more, i like civil law

with respect to eating habits and psychiatric morbidity, i recalled the mirabeau restaurant of dun laoghaire, and came across this story:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-essay-consuming-passions-1127492.html

-- adam

[1] http://www.oekonux.org/texts/GermFormTheory.html#origins