[ox-en] Re: Athina Karatzogianni * Confronting the difficulties of learning from the open source for contemporary social movements

Hi again!

Oops there was one point I forgot in my last reply.

6 days ago Stefan Merten wrote:
* Bruce Perens 2003 at the LinuxWorld Conference

* 'This is a "Linux" show, focusing upon a product. But the real
  subject of this trade show - Free Software and open Source - is a
  social movement. Like other social movements, its advances its own
  ideas - in our case ideas about software equality, competition,
  copyrights and patents as property. It's extremely unusual in that
  few other social movements make real products.

I'd put it differently. Free Software / peer production *is not* a
social movement in the sense of the talk of Athina. In fact even Bruce
Perens emphasizes the fact that peer production is about production.

Instead I'd say peer production *creates* classical political
movements when necessary. Bruce names a few topics for which it is
useful for peer production to have an accompanying political movement.