[ox-en] Re: Athina Karatzogianni * Confronting the difficulties of learning from the open source for contemporary social movements

Just a thought here that might clarify this for you Stefan

Sociopolitical movements may use open source or other peer produced tools,
as and when it is agreeable to their overall
frame/strategy/identity/organizational/mobilizational structure. Peer
producing communities are another matter you are correct, and whether they
will choose to have a social-movement/ideological/political component will
depend on whether their commitment is to social change or they are just
happy to produce code and improve the technical side of things without any
of the political complications. The advantage of being apolitical, as the
Athenians used to say an 'Idiot'- meaning a private person not interested in
the commons, is that it is very inclusive to whoever wants to just write
code, or join in peer production just because the technology turns them on.
In this latter case, and I am not making any judgements here by the way,
there is no political commitment of any type, except perhaps against the
proprietary monopoly, which is still critical.

Cheers
Athina