Message 00019 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Mission statement (was: Request for comments)

Hi all

By all means keep up the attacks, greeks! :-)

I think the mission statement is starting to look fine. My simplified suggestion is:

"This journal is dedicated to the critical study of peer production, understood as a mode of self-organized production in which participation is voluntary and predicated on the self-selection of tasks, as for example observed in the collaborative development of free software projects or of the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. Through the analysis of the forms and operations of peer producing communities in contemporary capitalist society, the journal aims to to open up new perspectives on the implications of peer production for social change."

What we could have below this short para. it is a list of possible themes that we would be interested to receive submissions on as such as:

- peer production and expertise
- peer production of hardware
etc

Concerning the organisational aspects, I think we need a balance between the 'classical' approach of Athina and the 'grassroots / fanzine' approach of George.

I  think it is essential to have a full list of the editorial committee's names and "institutional affiliation" - it will be obvious that not everyone is an academic, that's the specificity and interest of this project in my view. We do need some clear commitments from people though.

 So far there is me, StefanMn, and StefanMz. So: George, Athina, Michel: can we put your names as reviewers / scientific committee members? Anyone else interested?

Since I volunteered to be editor or maintainer I accept that it is my responsibility to coordinate articles and obtain reviews - if anyone wants to help please do, I expect that tasks will build up as the project advances. There is of course a heavy web component - if as StefanMz said the site is part of [ox] then that could simplify things (or not if there are too many technical integration issues). I also mention this in the context of the "two track"model of article development evoked previously (email threads getting mixed up, sorry).

Alternatively the journal site could be just an archive. It might also be good if the journal had its own address / url - better visibility?

cheers,
mathieu