Message 00575 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: Draft release announcement [was: [jox] Urgent - Inaugural issue of CSPP]

Alessandro,

thanks for also announcing on the p2p foundation blog,

Michel

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Alessandro Delfanti <delfanti sissa.it>wrote:

 Johan, Alessandro: OK, we'll aim for Monday then. I will remove the
 contact ref from the CFP. Just to be clear, I will be posting the  CFP as
well on the lists I mentioned, right?

ok! i'll go for ecrea, 4S and EASST

 @All: Below is a draft announcement, let me know if you think it is  too
detailed, or if anything does not sound right...?

cheers

Mathieu

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

CSPP: LAUNCH OF CRITICAL STUDIES IN PEER PRODUCTION JOURNAL

[apologies for multiple posts]

CSPP
We are thrilled to announce the release of the first issue of  Critical
Studies in Peer Production (CSPP) a new open access, online  journal that
focuses on the implications of peer production for  social change. We
understand peer production as a mode of  commons-based and oriented
production in which participation is  voluntary and predicated on the
self-selection of tasks. Notable  examples are the collaborative development
of Free Software projects  and of the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. For a
general description  of our aims please refer to:
http://cspp.oekonux.org/

Innovative mechanisms such as discussion of journal policy on  publicly
archived lists, community vetting of proposals, signaling  of published
articles by referees, and publication of referee  reports will enable
Critical Studies in Peer Production to promote  reviewer activity and widen
the scope of publishable material,  whilst also protecting the journal's
reputational research capital.
To learn more about our peer review process see:
http://cspp.oekonux.org/journal/peer-review

RESEARCH
Peer activism
The inaugural issue of CSPP begins the exploration of whether peer
 production constitutes an alternative to the social order. The  Research
section considers peer projects as a form of infra-politics  or
'subactivism' which eschews traditional formats and  mobilisations, with
papers  tracking the actions, justifications and  legitimations of
participants in two emblematic examples of  commons-based and oriented peer
production, Swedish file-sharing and  Wikipedia.

The origins and impacts of the Swedish file-sharing movement
Jonas Andersson
The recent history of Swedish peer-to-peer-based file-sharing forms  part
of a wider shift in politics towards a late-modern collective  ethic.
Everyday file-sharers operate as ‘occasional activists’, as  pirate
institutions not only speak for, but also run and build the  networks. Such
institutions cannot be explained by invoking market  logics, online
communitarianism, or political motivation alone. The  cyberliberties
activism animating these hubs is connected to the  larger framework of
balancing utilitarianism, nationalism,  individual autonomy and collectivism
in Sweden.
http://cspp.oekonux.org/research/peer-activism/rs1.1-swedish-file-sharing

The sociology of critique in Wikipedia
Mathieu O'Neil
Legitimate domination in commons-based peer production projects such  as
Wikipedia rests on two main principles: the extraordinary  qualities of
charismatic individuals and collectively-formulated  norms and rules.
Self-governed authority is in turn based on a  critique of separated power
in the realms of expertise and justice.  It thereby constitutes a
prefigurative response to widespread  democratic aspirations in
technologically advanced societies. But  what are the questions and issues
raised by this critique? And how  should we define "critique"?

http://cspp.oekonux.org/research/peer-activism/rs-1.2-sociology-of-critique

DEBATE
Our Debate section aims to foster robust discussions where both  parties
fully recognise, understand and question each other's  position. Starting
with an evaluation of Actor-Network Theory, we  examine the most productive
means of mapping and contesting power,  particularly in anti-authoritarian
projects.

ANT and power
Johan Söderberg, Nathaniel Tkacz, Mathieu O'Neil
Söderberg begins by elucidating the philosophical foundations on  which
ANT was built, declaring that many of the attractive features  within ANT
can be found elsewhere, in a more politically effective  tradition, that of
Marxism.  In response, Tkacz argues that the  political insights afforded by
ANT are not reducible to the Marxist  tradition, and that ANT is especially
well suited to describe how  force flows through peer-production projects -
projects which  already perform their own critique of Capital.  In reply,
O'Neil  writes that ANT and Foucault's networked conceptions of power do not
 account for how domination is reproduced over time or for people's  inner
sense of justice, preventing ANT from constituting a credible  alternative.
http://cspp.oekonux.org/debate/ant-power

Conference reports: Critical Point of View, 3rd Free Culture  Research
Conference
Johana Nyesito & Nathaniel Tkacz, Leonhard Dobusch & Michelle Thorne
Too often academic conferences end up only as another notch on a
 publication list; not enough time is spent assessing, and  documenting,
what has been learnt in theoretical and organisational  terms. Were goals
met? What could have been done differently? In our  Report section Nyesito &
Tkacz and Dobusch & Thorne, the organisers  of two conferences which took
place in 2010 - Critical Point of View  and the 3rd Free Culture Research
Conference – offer self-reflective  appraisals of the discursive and
political impact of conference  organisation.
http://cspp.oekonux.org/reports

Alessandro Delfanti
ICS, Innovations in the Communication of Science
Sissa, Trieste, Italy
delfanti sissa.it
http://people.sissa.it/~delfanti/

 SISSA Webmail https://webmail.sissa.it/