Message 00954 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] A response to Michel and Jakob

Hi Christian,
Thanks for posting the article.
Alll the best
Jakob

Christian Siefkes 03/22/12 12:04 PM >>>
Hi Franco, Jakob, all,

On 03/20/2012 03:48 AM, Franco Iacomella wrote:
El 19/03/12 23:33, Jakob Rigi escribió:
Hi Stefan,
WHAT IS THE TITLE OF CHRISTIAN BOOK? I WILL SEARCH FOR IT IN THE NET,

BUT I STILL WANT TO GET THE TITLE YOU QUOTE FROM.

It's "From Exchange to Contributions: Generalizing Peer Production
into the
Physical World": http://peerconomy.org/wiki/Main_Page#The_Book

for my more current standpoint, see e.g. "The Emergence of
Benefit-driven
Production" at http://keimform.de/2011/benefit-driven-production/ .
While in
my book I describe what could be described as "open sharing communities
requiring reciprocity" (you are required to contribute in order to
benefit"), my more recent work is about "open sharing communities
facilitating reciprocity" -- where contributing in some ways is easy and

encouraged, but it is not required in order to benefit. When we look at
existing successful peer communities, we see that they tend to follow
this
latter model, hence the change.

The old model was more concerned about lifting the "protestant work
ethic"
into a context of peers (as opposed to the buyer/seller relation of
capitalism) -- work is considered as a necessary evil, which people will

only do if required/forced to do so, hence contributions must be
required or
they won't be done. But actually, successful peer production is more
about
extending and generalizing the "hacker ethic" -- turning work into
something
that is fun, pleasurable and rewarding in itself. If you manage to do
this,
requiring contributions or giving an additional external reward is no
longer
required and indeed often harmful (the crowding-out effect described by
Benkler and others, cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivation_crowding_theory ).

I think that much of the scepticism voiced e.g. by Toni comes from
thinking
in terms of the "protestant work ethic."

Best regards
Christian

--
|------- Dr. Christian Siefkes ------- christian siefkes.net -------
| Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/ | Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
| Peer Production Everywhere: http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
|---------------------------------- OpenPGP Key ID: 0x346452D8 --
The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
-- Abbie Hoffman

Message 00954 [Homepage] [Navigation]