Re: Software as society (was: Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux)

On 12 Dec 2003 at 12:19, Casimir Purzelbaum wrote:

Ah, the old "the world is bad let's all do this this better
thing" fantasy. People will do what they think is best for
them.

  "Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can
  change the world, are the ones who do."
  --Apple Computer Advertisement (!)

But seriously, why are you saying this was a fantasy thing??

The difference between a vision and a fantasy is practicality. I just
cannot see the GPL or anything like it becoming the de facto software
license. Moreover, I view the GPL as bad for the quality of software
and so the world would be a better place without it.

However, I recognise that it is as popular as it is because the legal
support for software is so lousy so the GPL looks attractive on the
surface. Patching up a leaky tire is one approach - far better is to
replace the tire.

Cheers,
Niall