Re: [ox-en] Triply-Free software

Stefan Merten asked:

I also wonder whether then something like ownership makes actually
sense. Even today we see that something like Internet access step by
step becomes a pre-condition for live and thus a society does well to
simply deliver it.

Hi Stefan:

I often say that peer production is post-capitalist, peer governance post-democratic (because non-representational) and peer property is 'post-ownership'.

Of course that does not mean we can simply rely on private ownership, but at this stage the reality of usage and activating p2p dynamics is certainly more important than formally owning it in any sense.

In any case, we see sharing occuring on private platforms, and commons-production using licenses such as the GPL, creating new types of ownership. In the immaterial field of non-rival goods, it does not make sense to have a property of something that can be easily and freely copied (despite efforts to the contrary) and of which you loose nothing by sharing it What to do then with common 'physical property'.

I think in terms of theorizing this, we may learn a lot from the mutualist-libertarian field.

For example, their conception of 'common property', see http://p2pfoundation.net/Common

extract:

"More and more the concept of the common seems to become a third term, alongside the private and the collective.
The common consists of a series of inalienable rights that are
hold by all individuals, rather than collective aspects governed by a
separate sovereign body, and different from the
individualized/privatized aspects of existence.

The difference is explained in our entry on Common Rights, from an article by
Dan Sullivan.

It translates into new forms of Common Property that has it own rules and theory, applying to Common Goods and Common Pool Resources, sometimes governed by specialized Common Good Licenses such as the General Public License for software.

The concept of the common is therefore essential for building a society based on the Common Good, and is the key to understand Peer Production and how it socially reproduces itself through a process of Circulation of the Common

Common proprerty forms for physical goods that can be governed through Commons-based approaches can take the form of Trusts"