Re: [ox-en] thinking about logics

Stefan Meretz wrote:

Right. Further, the meaning of what we say (not only our respective
and collective understanding), evolves throughout this discussion. So
instead of looking at this as two well-separated steps in
communication through first clarifying the vocabulary, then arguing
within these agreed-upon terms, we have to understand this process in
a more organic whole.

Panta rei. :-)

This is what I tried to do. What do you mean in special?

My reply wasn't directed at you in particular, and it was certainly not meant as an advise. But the common belief that one first has to settle on a vocabulary, and only then can the actual discussion begin, often results in some sort of deadlock, because what one thinks of as a 'meta-discussion' soon enough turns into a new discussion.

This is just an illustration of the limits of formal logic in epistemological contexts.

Regards,