From: owner-journal oekonux.org on behalf of Mathieu ONeil
Sent: Wed 26/05/2010 10:08
To: journal oekonux.org
Subject: Re: [jox] Suggested Site Structure

Hi Stefan, all

I have been thinking for some time that not everyone on this list is interested in reading the details of how we set up the website. The spirit of openness needs to be balanced against the spirit of not overloading people with information they are not that interested in, inasmuch as the people on the list are mainly interested in the content of the site / journal and not the technical details of site configuration. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't want people to start deleting list messages if they assume it will be a couple people discussing technical tweaks. What does everyone think? We could post regular updates or something.

So I will refrain from responding specifically on those issues until that is decided (I will say that I realise I need to put in some more work in getting up to speed on Plone - I've started but found it a bit limited in terms of layout. This will probably mean me asking some questions as I may indeed not understand everything :-( or cant find the answer. I know we are supposed to be a distributed intelligence over here but so far only one person, StefanMn, has really been working on site layout... Not talking about content management, review system, in general as some people may have thoughts about that. I have been looking at some nice journals like http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/ and http://www.jedem.org/index but for me I would prefer something a bit more minimal and stark - we will get there eventually).

Regarding Stefan's final point below there is no intention in having unstructured debates in the opinion section but simply these contributions would be 5 pages rather than 25 and most importantly operate as responses to other well-articulated positions or polemics rather than stand-alone papers. So really a lot more structured than the give and take of an email list where some contributions could be a few lines. Hope this explains a bit better the intention here...
@ Johan and Nate: I am sitting on your papers for now as I would like to respond or at least post some avenues of response to the list to see if anyone else is interested in working on a common response. Nate, your final iteration is fine, apart from a couple extremely minor stylistic points which I will send off soon.

cheers,

Mathieu