Message 00392 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[jox] Journal update

Hi all

Here are a few notes to summarise where the different project parts are at:

-website:
a) StefanMn has set up the structure, a few tweaks and it should be right.
As for the layout, I will make some suggestions on the technical list over the next few days and hopefully we can go live in a few weeks.

b) We still need to sort out how to enable comments by outside people (registration? what kind?)

-report section:
a) the CPOV-Amsterdam conference report by Tkacz and Nyesito was completed a while ago and is ready to go.

b) I will be approaching Mayo Fuster Morell to ask if she could do one about the upcoming Spanish conference on the commons.

If anyone knows an organiser of an upcoming conference (Berlin?) it would be a good idea to let me know or approach them (the report questions are on the website).

-debate section:
a) the group of texts by Soderbergh, Tkacz and me on ANT, Hegel, Foucault, French sociology is ready to go. Has been ready to go, I should say, since July...

b) This reminds me that unless there is a response to the Bauwens short piece which I suggested for what was then known as our "opinion" section it is not appropriate any more here as we want groups or at least pairs of articles taking clearly opposed - distinct sides in a debate.

As these above sections are not "scientific" there is a priori no peer review process: comments will be made on the site.

-research section.
a) The three reviews for the Meretz and Merten submission are in. Apart from anything else, it has belatedly occurred to me that this piece is technically too short (3,500 words) to feature in the research section where articles are meant to be 6-8,000 words!??...

I still have not worked out how to proceed now. We ultimately will publish this with signals: do I send the suggestions to the authors and ask them to comply? If they do not do the reviewers get to come back and re-comment? Or do I make the reviews semi-public on the list or the protected part of the site? Suggestions welcome...

b) I intend to submit the piece I am sending this week to the CPOV reader to the journal (they encourage this in their CFP); it is provisionally entitled "The Sociology of Critique in Wikipedia"; we will need reviewers and possibly a guest editor to coordinate the reviews to make sure I do not manipulate the process in my favour ;-). If anyone feels up to doing one of these jobs please contact me on or offlist, otherwise I will approach people myself.

Finally here are some new publications (lifted from the P2P research list) which look relevant to this project:

Rethinking Marxism A Journal of Economics, Culture & Society, Volume 22
Issue 3 2010
THE COMMON AND THE FORMS OF THE COMMUNE
http://www.box.net/shared/hebqh7ir07
Compressed in a 5MB .zip file.

"The New Cooperativism"
Affinities: A Journal of Radical Theory, Culture, and Action
Volume 4, Issue 1, 2010
http://journals.sfu.ca/affinities/index.php/affinities/issue/view/4/showToc

Thats all I can think of,

cheers,