Message 00928 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] A response to Michel and Jakob

Am 20.03.2012 05:16, schrieb Michel Bauwens:
So the question is not to argue relentlessly for the infinity of
capitalism, but to ask ourselves, 'what can we do to change it', what are
the leverage points within the current contradictory system, between a
system based on contradictions, to effect change in our own interest as
workers and peer producers.

That's not my point. To understand transition perspectives _beyond_ capitalism you must first understand what are the transition perspectives _within_ capitalism, subtract that from the story and look what remains. By the way, I don't think that it is a simple additive task, but any change _within_ capitalism adds new moments that go beyond it.

Wasn't that the whole point of marxism, i.e. "not to interpret reality, but
to change it"

That's a very difficult question. I wrote a story about "the little philosopher who changed the world" (again in german) - a variation on the 11th Feuerbach thesis - and his two central questions are 1) what does it mean "change the world" if the world changes all the time itself, too? and 2) Is there anything won, if after a change the formerly bad feeling feel good, but the formerly good feeling feel bad?

The 11th Feuerbach thesis is a reflection on the state of philosophy of those times, and I don't think that crucial changes happened since those time within philosophy with respect to that regard. But the marxistic interpretation of "to change it" is a very voluntaristic and their result of the "changes" in the lasting 150 years were a contribution to a renewal of capitalism. That are the mere facts, aren't they?

I will come back to the remaining points later on.

hgg

--

  Dr. Hans-Gert Graebe, apl. Prof., Inst. Informatik, Univ. Leipzig
  postal address: Postfach 10 09 20, D-04009 Leipzig

Message 00928 [Homepage] [Navigation]