From: Alex Halavais <alex halavais.net>
Date: Monday, June 13, 2011 4:52 pm
Subject: Re: [jox] Debrief and clarification process
To: journal oekonux.org

I recognize this. There are lots of reasons folks would prefer
not to
have their drafts visible. But it's a matter of weighing the outcomes.

Yes, it could discourage some Ph.D. students, though it certainly
wouldn't have discouraged me when I was a student, and many of my
Ph.D. students would have preferred it.

On the other hand it opens up the process of review for those students
to see in a way that is otherwise very difficult to understand.
I was
lucky in that one of the members of faculty shared (against the
expectations of the journal and the author, I'll add) copies of
pre-review articles that we could practice reviewing, and shared his
own reviews of those papers. It's more than just learning the formal
queues of reviewing--if open source software development is any
indication, it's also a great way to learn how things work and how
they are done.

When my first reviews came for a manuscript I literally cried.
Had I
known that successful faculty regularly received harsh criticism-
-and
more, that detailed criticism was a gift--I would have been thankful.
As it was, I found the entire process (like much of academia) to be
secretive, closed, and exclusive.

My concern with making it optional is that most people won't. The
default is to do what you are familiar and comfortable with. I'll
admit that despite my push for making this the requirement, I myself
would--if given the option--be unlikely to open my draft up. I'd still
publish it on my site or something, probably, but why would I
take a
risk when others will not.

Yes, we could encourage a culture of draft sharing, and my
thanks to
the first authors for being willing to do so, but although I would
love to be wrong, without it being mandated, or at least very strongly
encouraged, I don't expect many people will choose the road that leads
to more scrutiny and criticism.

Be bold, be open, and share. Scholarly work is best done in open
conversation, so let's help that happen...

Best,

Alex

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Athina Karatzogianni