Message 00732 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Critical Studies in Peer production or Critical Studies in Commons Production?

as stated before, I also favour the current name,

and just for the record, the trend towards the commons in many different
fields is not a hype, but closely related to the emergence of peer
production, which through its creation of digital commons and generalizing
the practice of 'commoning', has also had the effect to re-ignite the
interest in other forms of the commons.

This is not to say that there will not a big amount of commons-washing, just
as there is with other terms like sustainability and resilience, but that
doesn't make any of these terms automatically hypes .. (I don't necessarily
believe that some people have a crystal ball to detect hypes)

Furthermore, it has been my experience that in more mainstream audience, the
concept of the commons is more easily understood and accepted that that of
the commons,

it  seems to me that the most fruitful strategy is to show their
inter-relationship: peer to peer is the relational dynamic; peer production
the process (commoning), whereby  commons are created or maintained

all of this of course does not mean that we should use it in the name of our
journal